Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Art of Kaoya and More



Back in HK and ready to post my gastronomic experience in Beijing. Finally got a chance to try 大董烤鸭. After a few pieces of 烤鸭, I usually feel very chia lut. But not one at 大董. Surprisingly it was not as greasy yet still flavorful. Now I know why 大董 is so popular. The restaurant was very crowded even though it was a weeknight... In my greedy attack of the 烤鸭, I forgot to take pictures. Must remember the next time I'm there....

The menu at 大董 is amazingly thick. Took my colleagues and me a long time to go through the menu....It can pass off as a coffee table book with artistic pictures of the food. The actual food were also presented as if they were art pieces.

Was quite impressed with two other dishes. One was a starter of duck liver wrapped within jelly. I must say this was the best-tasting duck liver I have ever had, better than the ones from French restaurants.... The citrusy jelly was a refreshing contrast against the duck liver, cleansing the palate after every bite of the duck liver (which can be a little fatty).

Another dish I liked was the tofu with a filling of what tasted like hei bee hiam in the middle. Again, the tofu with its delicate texture and taste was a sharp contrast against the filling which was slightly spicy. I think I'll be back to 大董 again on my next trip. Not so much to have the 烤鸭 again but to try out more dishes which look so alluring in the "coffee table book"...

No comments: